Saturday, June 26, 2010

New York-Style Cheesecake

It was my father's birthday so I decided to bake a cake! I didn't have much time since I had school at night . Cake mix is definitely a last resort for me..but I realized there was no cake mix in the house. There was also no milk!!

I made a quick decision on what to make, just a simple New York Style Cheesecake. I haven't made cheesecake since Douglas and I's one year anniversary so I decided to take a shot at it again. I tried looking for that same recipe we used but was without luck.

New York-Style Cheesecake
1 cup Graham Crumbs
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, melted (I used margarine)
4 pkg. (250 g each) Brick Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1/3 cup Strawberry Jam

1. Mix graham crumbs, 3tbsp sugar and 3tbsp of melted butter (I used margarine). Once well mixed with no dry crumbs, spread to the bottom of a springform pan. Flatten out and press the crust evenly. Remember to grease the sides of the pan with a tiny amount of butter/margarine/pam.
2. Preheat and bake the crust for 10 minutes at 325F.
3. Soften the cream cheese by letting it sit at room temperature or microwave it for a few seconds. Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla. Beat well with an electric mixer until mixed well.
4. Add sour cream, mix well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well on low speed after each addition.
5. Pour cream cheese mixture over crust.
(Now this is when I realize my jam has gone bad?! Panic.. but not really. I could've let it just a regular cheese cake but I was adventurous and decided to swirl in some mango nectar/juice)
6. Microwave jam and drop spoonfuls on top of the mixture. Swirl gently with a knife or toothpick, careful not to touch the bottom crust!
7. Bake 40-45 minutes or until the centre is almost set. Cheesecake continues to cook outside the oven so the center (2-3inches or so) may still be a little jiggly! It should set upon cooling.
8. Once all cool, refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

I was in a total rush while making the cake, my impatience has led to disappointing blurry photos.






*Forgot to mention, I did end up dividing the recipe portions in half. I originally wanted to use my smaller springform pan but I never realized it was so small! So this was the next size I had. There wasn't enough crust so I basically eyeballed it and made enough crust to fill the bottom of the pan but didn't bother adjusting the portions to fill the cheesecake more. The result: a very thin new york style cheesecake.

It was super yummy! The mango taste hadn't come out as much as I wanted it to but what did I expect right? I was basically using mango juice... if I had real mangoes or at least mango puree, it would have been much better. Or better yet, if I had some non-rotting jam in the house!
Cheesecake is definitely very filling.. a small slice goes such a long way.

3 comments:

  1. mm, this looks so yummy! I've never made cheesecake before but I'm going to give it a try soon :) Hope your dad enjoyed the cake too! :D

    I love your little dessert posts. You should bake for me hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, this looks deeelicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your photos. must try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete